Saturday, April 14, 2012

Jet Set Friday: Mykonos Greece

Happy Friday!

Danny and I have been hard at work putting together our new apartment the past few days. We are almost done putting everything away, and the apartment is starting to feel like home! Tonight we decided to tackle the project of building our new IKEA bed (though it looks as though we may sleep on the couch tonight...this bed is a lot more complicated than it looks!

I decided that I needed to take a break from building this monstrosity of an IKEA project. And what better way is there to take a break than dream about a past vacation on one of the most beautiful islands in all of Greece? (answer: very few ways are better)

Before my senior year of college, my uncle took me on an amazing trip to Greece. We both share a love of the ancient world and traveling, and a trip to visit one of the world's most ancient countries seemed like a perfect idea. We rented a car and drove around the main land, visiting places like Athens, Thessaloniki, Meteora, Delphi, and Nafplio, just to name a few. We visited some of the world's most ancient archaeological sites, including Mycenae (which is older than about 1600BCE!). It was a fantastic trip, filled with fun, excitement, wonder and awe.

On the last leg of the trip, we spent the remaining five days relaxing at the Mykonos Grand Hotel on Mykonos, a Greek island located Southeast of Athens. This island is truly paradise! Tucked away in the southern Aegean Sea, Mykonos has all the beauty of its more famous cousin Santorini (definitely more beauty!) but has less tourists (always nice to get away from the crowds!) Between the azure and cerulean blue sea to the history and architecture of the old towns, Mykonos is a place you should definitely add to your bucket list.

Here are a few of the pictures that I took while staying on Mykonos:

I took this picture on the beach below the Mykonos Grand Hotel. The island in the background is Delos.

I took this picture from the hotel room I was staying in at the Mykonos Grand Hotel. Such an amazing view!

I took this picture at the beginning of sunset over the rooftops of the Mykonos Grand Hotel.

Sunset over Mykonos.

I loved the cabana umbrellas at the pool at the Mykonos Grand Hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment