Sunday, May 13, 2012

Crafty Saturday on Sunday: Soldering Lesson

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful mothers, grandmothers and aunts out there! While I'm sad that I cannot be with my own mother, grandmother and aunts for Mother's Day, I'll be thinking about them all day.

I hope that you've been enjoying your weekend so far! Danny and I went to IKEA yesterday for some things that we sorely needed around our apartment, and we planted some flowers and vegetable plants on our porch, so I'm looking forward to seeing those grow!

I have been taking a metal-smithing class for the last three weeks, and we've learned soldering techniques, wire cutting techniques, and next week I'll be learning to mold and shape metal! I've been having a great time and I've been taking a lot of pictures!

I wanted to share with you pictures that I took two classes ago from my soldering lesson. Soldering (pronounced Soddering) is simply adhering two pieces of metal together by melting a filler metal in between the two pieces of metal. In our class we used a blow torch instead of an electric soldering tool (I'm not a fan of anything with tons of heat, so using a blow torch for the first time was terrifying for me!). Once I finally learned how to use (and overcame my fear of) the blow torch, it became much more fun for me to learn how to solder pieces together!

Here's some pictures from my soldering lesson:

Here you can see the blow torch, the flax liquid, some tweezers, soldering chips (in red), and soldering blocks.

Here I've already added and heated the flux on the metal. You can see the red soldering chips at the point where the two pieces of metal join.

This picture shows the natural discoloration of the metal which occurs after the flame has been applied and the soldering chips have melted.

The next step is to cool the metal down in water. This picture shows the metal after it has been cooled in water.

This is a picture of another piece of metal that has already been through the acid wash, which is the next step after soaking the metal in water.

Here is another practice piece that I soldered together. (My first practice piece!0
Here you can see the flux liquid has been oxidized after the flame has been applied.

Once the flux has been oxidized, we add the red soldering chips (the most heat resistant of the chips).

Turning the blowtorch on!

This is the appropriate flame.

Here I am applying the flame to the metal in order to adhere the two pieces together.

Here are some of my (almost) finished practice pieces. I still have to buff the pieces with a soft wire brush to get rid of the stains left by the oxidization caused by the flame.

Look at that nice solder seam!


I hope that you liked this post and found it to be interesting! I absolutely love this jewelry class and I can't wait to share more with you!

Thanks for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment