Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jet Set: Athens - Acropolis and Parthenon

Hi Everyone,

I've been behind in posting my regular posts the last couple of days. It is the end of the semester, and I have been spending a lot of time focused on my studies.

For this weeks (or rather last Friday's) Jet Set post, I wanted to share with you some pictures that I took while visiting the Parthenon in Athens a few years ago. I have always had a fascination with the ancient world, and I have always loved learning about the history of Ancient Greece.

The Parthenon is an Athenian temple which was built around 447BC in honor of the patron goddess Athena. The temple sits on top of the Acropolis in Athens, and the view from the top of the Acropolis is breath-taking! The entire city is visible for miles. The Parthenon was covered in heavy scaffolding when I visited, but even behind planks and pipes the columns of the Parthenon were magnificent. (The scaffolding is part of the effort to restore and protect the Parthenon from the destruction it is facing due to smog and pollution, and of course age.)

The Parthenon is not the only structure on the top of the Acropolis. It shares its space with a lesser known temple called the Erechtheion. This temple is famous for its rows of statued women, known as the caryatids. The Porch of the Caryatids features statues of draped and clothed women.

I will never forget the feelings of awe and wonder that I experienced walking around the Acropolis, knowing that the Ancient Greeks walked the same paths thousands of years before.


Here are some pictures that I took while visiting the Acropolis:

This is the backside of the Parthenon. I wish I could have taken photos from farther away, but the Acropolis was crawling with tourists (and I'm not a fan of having strangers in my photos!).
This is the Propylaia, another temple on the Acropolis.
This is the back side of the Erechtheion.
This is the Porch of the Caryatids.
These are the statues on the Porch of the Caryatids. (I believe these are replacements for the original pieces, which have been stored in a museum to protect them from pollution and destruction).
I love this photograph! In the middle of these massive ruins are beautiful orange-red flowers!


Thank you for visiting my blog and for reading my posts! Feel free to take a peek at the Venture & Roam Etsy Shop and visit me at the Venture & Roam Facebook page!


No comments:

Post a Comment