Saturday, May 12, 2012

Jet Set: The Basel Zoo

Happy Saturday!

Danny and I recently moved to Basel. Even though we've lived here for about a month, we haven't been able to explore this city as much as we would have liked (work and school get in the way!). However, we decided to visit the Basel Zoo last Saturday, and we had a lot of fun!

The Basel Zoo is frequently rated one of the top 10 zoos in the world, and it is considered one of the oldest zoos still in operation today. With over 600 species of animals and several great exhibits, the Basel Zoo holds up to its reputation! The zoo is situated in the middle of the city, but once you enter the Zolli (the affectionate name for the Basel Zoological Garden), you are immersed in the sights, sounds and even smells of the animal world.

I was absolutely impressed by the Basel Zoo and I cannot wait to go back to visit again! I loved seeing the hippos and pygmy hippos, the rhinos, and the crocodile. The aquarium had so many different species of fish that I had never even heard of, let alone seen, in a zoo, and the aviary was so open that you could walk right up to birds nesting in the open.

I didn't bring my camera to the zoo since it was raining the day we went. I did take a few pictures of some animals on my iPhone, so I'll share those with you today! (Next time I go, I'll take better pictures and share those!)

Swimming Hippos

Swimming in the rain

Some Elephants (notice the apartments in the background?!)

One of the Rhinos attempting to eat the grass...

Pigs in the petting zoo! The piglets are so cuteeee!

Piglets!!


I hope you enjoyed this post! Thanks for reading my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the zoo pics. That must have been fun walking through that zoo and comparing it to the zoos back home. I especially like the picture of the Rhino reaching for the greens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures from the zoo! It was a wonderful zoo, and I can't wait to visit it again this summer.

    The Rhino was certainly one of my favorites! He was super hungry for those leafy greens!

    ReplyDelete