Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday on Thursday: Fresh Tuna Salad

Happy Thursday!

I meant to post this on Tuesday, but I have been very busy this week with school and making jewelry.

One of my favorite comfort foods growing up was a good old-fashioned tuna fish salad on whole wheat bread. I know that there are people out there who are completely turned off by tuna fish salad (Danny is one of them), but for those of you who do love it, I promise you'll like this recipe!

I have always used Bumblebee brand canned tuna to make my tuna salad, but ever since we've moved to Switzerland, I've had to get creative with my tuna salad since I haven't found a brand of canned tuna that I like in my tuna salad. While shopping at the Migro grocery store the other day, I found beautiful tuna steaks at the fish counter. I decided that fresh tuna would surely be better than canned tuna. (And I assure you it is!) It was so nice to have a delicious fresh tuna salad sandwich. It was like having a piece of home all the way here in Basel.





Here's what you need:


* fresh tuna steak (I used about 200g of tuna steak)
* 2-3 celery stalks
* about 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup of fresh dill
* salt
* pepper

Here's what you do:

Add a little butter and olive oil to a pan and turn the heat to medium-medium high

Add the tuna steak, and cook each side for about 5 to 7 minutes (until browned and cooked through).

Once the tuna is cooked through, take it off the heat and let it cool.

While the tuna cools, wash and cut the ends off of the celery.

Chop the celery into small pieces, then add them to a large mixing bowl.

Next, chop the fresh dill. Then add the dill to the mixing bowl.

Once the tuna has cooled down to room temperature, break the steak apart into chunks. Add the pieces of tuna to the mixing bowl.

Next add the mayonnaise, a dash of salt and some pepper. 

Once all of the ingredients are in the bowl, mix very well with a fork.

It should look like this when you have finished mixing the ingredients.

Cover the bowl and let it rest in the fridge for at least an hour (but I think its best after letting it sit in the fridge for a full day).

Once the fresh tuna salad is ready to eat, place it on some whole-wheat bread. Enjoy!

Yummmmmmmm!

I hope that you enjoy this recipe! Thanks for reading my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment