Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tasty Tuesday on Wednesday: Homemade Brown Sugar

Happy Wednesday!

I hope that your week is going well! The weekend is just around the corner, and I am very excited for my jewelry class on Friday. I have decided that I will start making a metal-formed ring, and once I've finished with that I'll make a textured metal cuff bracelet!

Yesterday I made some of my favorite cookies: Messy Oatmeal Cookies. I will post the recipe and pictures for that recipe later today. But first, I thought it would be fun to share with you my recipe for homemade brown sugar.

I have searched high and low here in Switzerland for soft brown sugar, like the Domino brand that I buy at the local grocery stores back home in Ohio. However, I have yet to find soft brown sugar. Many recipes require brown sugar (like my Messy Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies), so I've had to get crafty and make my own brown sugar.

Soft brown sugar (like the kind that you buy in the store) is essentially made of cane sugar and molasses. The Swiss grocery stores always have brown cane sugar available, and luckily I was able to find molasses in a health food store in St. Gallen around Thanksgiving.

Many recipes for homemade brown sugar call for 1 tablespoon of molasses to every 1 cup of sugar. I think that this ratio makes the sugar smell and taste too strongly of molasses. So, when I make brown sugar, I use the ratio of 1 tablespoon of molasses to every 2 cups of sugar.


Here's what you need:


* cane sugar
* molasses
* a large mixing bowl
* a fork or a hand-mixer


Here's what you do:

Add 4 cups of cane sugar to the mixing bowl.

Add two tablespoons of molasses to the sugar.

Mix with a fork, until all of the lumps of molasses are gone.

Once you are done mixing the sugar, it should be light and fluffy.

Yummm

No comments:

Post a Comment