Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tasty Treat: Italian Meatballs (inspired by Chow Ciao Fabio Viviani's Perfect Italian Meatballs)

I have always loved Italian food, and one of my favorite Italian dishes has always been spaghetti with meatballs. Pasta is a weekly staple in our household, and whenever I make meatballs I usually just eyeball the ingredients. They always come out very tasty. However, recently I was watching one of my favorite online chefs, Fabio Viviani from Chow Ciao on Yahoo, and I decided that I would try his "Perfect Italian Meatballs". I strayed a little from his recipe, but the meat balls turned out pretty darn good.




Here's what you need:




* 1 pound of ground beef or ground beef mixture
* 1/2 cup of marscapone cheese (Fabio Viviani uses ricotta)
* 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
* 1 cup bread crumbs (I used homemade bread crumbs, but Fabio Viviani uses Panko bread crumbs)
* 1 egg
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
* 1 tablespoon of good olive oil
* kosher salt
* pepper 


Here's what you do:


1. Combine all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Mix all of the ingredients together so that the mixture is fully incorporated. Do not over-mix. (I had to switch to a larger bowl!)
3. Coat your hands with olive oil and roll the mixture into small balls of meaty goodness.
4. Add olive oil to a pan and heat on medium. Place the meatballs in the pan, and cook all sides until they are seared lightly brown. Once they have been seared on all sides, remove the meatballs from the pan and drain the fat and oil.
5. Once the pan has been drained, place the meatballs back in the pan and cover them with tomato sauce. Cook until the sauce is heated and the meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
6. Eat and enjoy! Yummmmmm


I hope that you've enjoyed my slight twist to Italian meatballs! They are absolutely delicious and make perfect leftover meatball sub sandwiches!

Thanks for reading my blog! Be sure to check out my Venture & Roam Etsy shop and like the Venture & Roam Facebook page!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! They look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're super tasty! Danny always gobbles them up within a day or two! I love them freshly made, but I really love them leftover on a slice of fresh bread! Nothing better than a meatball sandwich!

    ReplyDelete