Friday, October 12, 2012

Dachshund Fun

I wanted to share a cute video that I took over the summer of my dachshund Lucy playing with my sister's new dachshund puppy Muffy. But let me give you a little history of our love and obsession with dachshunds.

From as early as I can remember, our family has always had dachshunds. I've grown up with these bratwurst shaped canines, and I can't imagine having any other breed. (Though I am fond of the hound group.) They are wonderful, strong-headed dogs with a slight Napoleonic complex. While our miniature dachshunds stand under a foot tall, they genuinely believe they are as big as the Newfoundland mix neighbor dog Fiona.

We brought Bridget home when I was in high school, and we instantly fell in love with this sweet little puppy. She's a smart dog, and while she is known for getting into the trash like a raccoon, she's always been a good dog.

When I graduated from Syracuse University, I decided that I needed to have my own dog, and so I brought home a little black and tan dachshund who I named Lucy. She's a lovely little dachshund with endless energy, and I'm sure there will never be another dog like her. 

When I first brought my dog Lucy home over three years ago, my mother's dachshund Bridget was not very pleased. Suffice it to say that it took a long time for Bridget to get over her "only child syndrome". Now, especially after having left Lucy in the care of my mother when I moved to Switzerland, Bridget and Lucy are inseparable. Call them the dog version of Thelma & Louise.

Then Muffy came along. Bridget has had a very easy time adjusting to the new puppy. But Lucy has not been quite fond of Muffy. In fact, it seems as though Lucy is quite jealous that there's a new puppy in town. Any time Muffy plays with a toy, Lucy comes and takes it from her. And if Muffy is being showered with attention from us? Forget about it! Lucy makes it a point to jump, bark, or climb onto our laps in order to redirect the attention to her. 

Muffy, of course, is blissfully ignorant of the fact that Lucy wants nothing to do with her. In the video that I took, Muffy is attempting to play tug of war with Lucy. See what happens next:



video



No comments:

Post a Comment