Sunday, April 10, 2016

My Whole30: A 30 Day Journey to Better Eating

I had a rude awakening at my doctor's appointment yesterday. Giddy from anticipation to see my little one on the monitor, I happily stepped onto the scale during my check-up. Much to my surprise, especially since I still fit into my clothes (baby bump excluded), the scale indicated that I had gained some weight. Too much weight. At the very least, I had gained too much weight for what is to be considered healthy weight gain in the span of a month during a normal pregnancy. Needless to say, my doctor uttered Number 5 of The Top 14 Things You Should Never to Say to a Pregnant Woman

My doctor kindly suggested that I reconsider my diet. My First thought: violation of Number 2 on my list! My second thought: oh no, gestational diabetes, gestational obesity, instant fear at the thought of pushing out a 10 pound baby!

So under my doctor's direction, I'm going to try to change my eating habits. With her consent, I will be taking part in the Whole30 challenge. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Whole30 program, its a 30-day commitment to eating healthier while eliminating foods that cause inflammation and dietary distress. It is described as a nutritional reset, and it is designed to help you discover which, if any, foods have a negative or inflammatory affect on your body. It is not intended to be a weight-loss program (perfect for a pregnant mama), but I certainly hope that it will help me to maintain a healthy weight, and healthy weight gain, during my pregnancy. 

Venture & Roam: Whole30 by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig, eating healthy,
Whole30 by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig

My doctor suggested that temporarily eliminating some foods from my diet may improve some problems that I've been experiencing, such as poor digestion and heartburn (some of the things they never tell you about being pregnant), as well as maintain a healthy weight during my pregnancy. 

So here is my pledge and promise: I will try my hardest for my baby and myself to eat healthier over the next 30 days. It won't be easy. I'm a sucker for sweets and carbs. But the health of my baby and my body is worth more than any dessert or bread basket. 

Venture & Roam: I'm committing to 30 days of healthy eating, Whole30


Have you tried the Whole30 program? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Whole 30 looks like a more strict version of what Mitch and I are doing. We've had luck with ours (I've lost 5 lbs so far and only 1 migraine since we've started...also have a ton more energy and don't get randomly nauseous). I will say that it's a whole lot easier for me to do with Mitch doing it with me. Hope Danny will consider! It really helps. good luck and share any fun recipes you find! Love ya, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Thanks, and thank you for sharing your experience! I'm excited to see how my health will benefit from cleaner eating. It's great that Mitch is on board with you through the journey of eating Paleo, and hopefully I can keep Danny satisfied with clean meals for dinner. I suspect weekends will be the hardest challenge for us. I will definitely share some recipes with you on my blog! xoxox

      Delete