Sunday, May 1, 2016

My Whole30: Week 3 Progress




Well, I made it three whole weeks before I caved in and ate food that was not compliant with the Whole30 plan.

I know what you're thinking. Why couldn't you have resisted the urge for beef shawarma and a sliver of homemade nutella cake? Why couldn't you have just kept going seven more days? 

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I am sorry to tell you that I didn't really have a good reason for breaking my Whole30. Part of me wanted to see what my glucose levels were after eating normal food. Another part of me was concerned that I had lost too much weight over the last three weeks... losing over 8 pounds in less than three weeks seems like a lot for a pregnant lady. And part of me just really wanted to shed the stress of having to watch what I eat. 

The truth is that I didn't have a valid reason for breaking my Whole30 plan. 

But, and this is a big but (insert your favorite Sir Mix-a-lot joke here), I definitely noticed the negative side effects of that meal over the last 24 hours. After eating my indulgent dinner, I have felt bloated, gassy, and sluggish. Those are all symptoms that I haven't experienced in the last three weeks. So something about what I ate last night did not connect well with my body. Its hard to say what it was... it could have been the whole wheat tortilla, cream sauce, oil from shawarma, chocolate, nutella, or sugar from the cake, or all of it combined. But I paid a hefty price for that dinner.

So what have I learn? Eating a Whole30 diet is incredibly healthy, provides me with energy, and regulates my body in a way that is efficient and comfortable. I intend to continue to eat the way I've been eating for the last 21 days. 

I'll still post updates about my Whole30, but I won't be able to say that I completed 30 consecutive days of clean eating. And you know what? I'm ok with that. It gives me a goal to do better next time, and it encourages me to make healthier eating choices. 



So what did I eat for my third week of the Whole30? 

Breakfast: 

scrambled eggs, or egg whites, roasted vegetables, homemade Larabars, a banana cherry smoothie, homemade bone broth, boiled sweet potato

Lunch: 

steamed kale, sautéed vegetables, lean beef, pears, lettuce, avocado, baby carrots, 

Dinner: 

sautéed vegetables,  beef broth, baked turkey breast, baked chicken, braised short rib from making the bone broth, mashed rutabaga, grilled octopus, steak, asparagus, 

Snacks: 

raw almonds, apples, kiwis, avocado, 



Have you tried the Whole30 program? Did you fall off the wagon, or did you stick with it for a full 30 days? Share your thoughts below.

Life is short, share in the adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment